Fonds F 4475
14.8 metres of textual records
48 architectural drawings
74 photographs : black and white prints (20 copies)
24 photographs : black and white 35 mm negatives
75 photographs : colour prints
1 photograph : colour transparency
Fonds consists of the corporate records created by Wellesley Central Hospital and its predecessor Wellesley Hospital which opened as a private facility in 1911, became public by 1942, merged with Central Hospital in 1996 and was mandated by the government to merge with St. Michael's Hospital in 1998 through the provincial restructuring of the health care system.
The records include organizational charts, minutes, correspondence, reports, agreements, surveys, reviews and assessments, annual reports, financial statements, newsletters, photographs and expansion drawings. The records document the activities of the Board of Directors, the operating services, the administration, and the education programs and medical research in its affiliation with the University of Toronto. In addition, the records document the merger with Central Hospital, the failed merger with Sunnybrook Hospital and the Alliance with Women's College Hospital to ward off closure of both hospitals, the strategic planning, implementation and community involvement, and the provincial restructuring of the health care system as well as the instigation of the “Staying Alive” campaign which resulted from the court case challenging the government restructuring of the provincial health care system.
Wellesley Central Hospital has served a wide range of patients from various income levels and cultural communities, including single parent families, Canada's large Gay and Lesbian population, immigrants and refugees, homeless people, seniors, and people with chronic mentall illness. Included are records instituting a Neighbourhood Relations Committee comprising local residents, Board members and caregivers who served as a major link with the community. With a focus on Urban Health, the hospital was responsible for many new initiatives including Canada's first Health Bus sponsored by the Rotary Club of Toronto, a Crisis Intervention Team for the treatment of those suffering from mental distress, a mental health outreach program, and the Ross Tilley Burn Centre, southern Ontario's regional burn centre for adults that opened in 1984 with round the clock treatment methods. The records also document the hospital's affiliation with the University of Toronto, as a teaching hospital providing education programs for the study of medicine and promoting medical research. In addition the hospital also focused on minimally invasive surgery and diseases of the immune system through its Research Institute and was responsible for the activities of the Hospital Foundation, the Rekai Centre, and Volunteer Services.
Wellesley Hospital introduced medical innovations such as the early use of rubber gloves during surgery, led by doctor Herbert Alexander Bruce and head nurse Elizabeth Grace Flaws, and the province's first lithotripter, a device presented in 1987 that shatters kidney stones with sound waves. By the end of the 1990's the hospital had become a centre for those with HIV and AIDS.
Large numbers of files have been arranged by broad subject areas with prearrangement-taking place by the hospital prior to the donation and during the hospital's existence. With the mandated merger of Wellesley Central with St. Michael's Hospital, records of non-medical programs, research or administration are not contained under the provisions of the Public Hospitals Act that provide for the transfer of medical records of a closed hospital to another hospital or designated body, hence certain files are missing in the sequence.
Wellesley Central Hospital operated as a public facility from 1996 as a result of the merger of Wellesley Hospital and Central Hospital until it was mandated by the government to merge with St. Michael's Hospital in 1998 through the provincial restructuring of the health care system. Prior to 1996, Wellesley Hospital functioned as a public facility from 1942 and a private hospital from 1911.
Click on the link(s) below for more information.
Records of the Wellesley Hospital Nursing Alumni Association are available at the Ryerson University Archives.
For government records related to the administering the health care system and providing services to the Ontario public through such programs as health insurance, care for the mentally ill, drug services, home care services, and the regulation of hospitals and nursing homes, consult the Records of the Ministry of Health and the Department of Health (prior to 1972), RG 10. For records related to the provincial restructuring of the health care system, consult the Health Services Restructuring Commission fonds, F 2162.
Accruals are not anticipated.
Accession number: 48528
Consult the individual series descriptions for information on how to access the records.
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.
Click on a reference code for more information about a series of records.
|Reference Code||Series Title|
|F 4475-1||Wellesley Central Hospital Board of Directors' files|
|F 4475-2||Wellesley Central Hospital operating services files|
|F 4475-3||Wellesley Central Hospital education and research files|
|F 4475-4||Wellesley Central Hospital administrative files|
|F 4475-5||Files related to Wellesley Central Hospital mergers|
|F 4475-6||Wellesley Central Hospital's strategic planning files|
|F 4475-7||Wellesley Central Hospital's files and reference material relating to provincial health care restructuring|