Fonds C 121
79 photographs : glass negatives
Fonds consists of 79 glass photographic negatives depicting numerous Toronto and area scenes.
Subjects in the fonds include Canadian Expeditionary Force soldiers at the Canadian National Exhibition during World War One; numerous views of Toronto buildings and streets, including the Parliament Buildings at Queen's Park, the University of Toronto, the Old Mill, Howard Park Avenue Methodist Church, the Rushholme residence, the Dominion Bank on Danforth Avenue, a store front of Barton's Defender Photo Supply, and a race track (probably the old Woodbine race course).
A number of portraits are also included, some of which may be of members of Barton's family. The remainder of the collection covers miscellaneous subjects, including ships, the entrance to a special effects theatre (possibly at the C.N.E.), a convention of magpie enthusiasts, the Markham High School cadets, the Chevrolet Motor Company building (presumably in Oshawa), a wooden bridge over an unidentified river (possibly the Don River), and views of an early automobile and a child on a pull sleigh.
A.W. Barton was a professional photographer who managed Defender Photo Supply, a photographic shop in Toronto, during the 1910s before moving to Oshawa, Ontario ca. 1920.
Click on the link(s) below for more information.
Fonds was found in the attic of Barton's Oshawa home and donated to the Archives of Ontario in 1962 by Mr. M. Hofstetter.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Fonds was found in the attic of Barton's Oshawa home, and the negatives have been attributed to Barton.
Some C 121-1 photographs are stored in CTS under the reference code C 59.
Accession number: 3130.
View an online list of these records.
Please consult the online list to narrow down your search.
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.
Digital images of all or some of these records are available for online research in the Visual Database.