Ontario Government Record Series RG 2-42
13.4 metres of textual records
Series consists principally of files from the central correspondence registry of the Department of Education between 1885 and 1913, which included all incoming correspondence to the department, and typically also includes drafts of the outgoing responses. Several exchanges may be included in the same file. The original registry docket has usually been removed. There are, however, many atypical files, some of which represent artificial collections of types of documents like Orders-in-Council, forms, and circulars.
After the central registry series ceased to be used for all incoming correspondence in 1913, the Department of Education continued to use it as an "historical" collection. To the 1885-1913 materials, the Department added other material, and also a quantity of contemporary material (chiefly clippings from local newspapers, 1950-1964) on the same subjects, forming, in essence, a reference collection on the history of education in Ontario, with an emphasis on the Ross and Harcourt ministries.
Beginning in the 1950's, Education Department staff affixed on most files a pasted label with a descriptive title and an identifying code. Pencilled underlinings and marginalia by the selection team are quite common. Short responses, rather than being preserved in the original, were sometimes typed by the staff directly onto the incoming letter. Typed transcriptions of illegible documents can sometimes be found interfiled with the originals, and typed excerpts from works of reference such as J. George Hodgins' Schools and Colleges are to be found both as "files" in themselves, and as additions to the Registry material.
The series is a source of information not only on department policies, but on its transactions with school boards, teachers, inspectors, other education offices around the world, and special interest groups such as the temperance lobby. The training and certification of teachers through the Normal and Model Schools is another well-represented topic. The Department also had responsibility for various specialized schools: those for the blind and deaf in Brantford and Belleville respectively, and the Industrial Schools for truant and wayward children. At this period, Public Libraries (and their predecessors, the Mechanics' Institutes) also fell within the Department of Education's jurisdiction. All of these responsibilities are reflected in this series, as is the Department's close relationship with the Province's universities, particularly the University of Toronto.
Related records held by the Archives of Ontario include: Department of Education incoming general correspondence (Reference Code: RG 2-12) and Department of Education central registry files (Reference Code: RG 2-43).
No further accruals are expected.
This series was formerly described as RG 2, Series P-2.
Accession number: 3882.
View an online list of these records.
These records were created by the following Ontario government agency or agencies. Click on the agency reference code for information about this agency and other records it created.
|Department of Education (AA3)|
|Department of Education (AA3)||Registrar's Branch (CA1776)|
To view this material, first consult the online list to round down your request, and then use the appropriate self-service microfilm reel(s).
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.