Fonds F 4598
173 photographs : black and white, colour
Fonds consists of storefront photographs of branches of the Dominion Stores Limited located across Ontario but not in the City of Toronto.
The fonds is primarily composed of photographic prints, some created from the original negative near the time of its creation, while others are reproductions printed from a copy negative of an earlier print. The impetus behind the creation of these images seems to have varied over time depending on the need of the moment.
The earliest images, consisting of the chain's smaller stores, seem to have been taken in 1939-1940 when they were considered for sale during Dominion's first re-organization. However, notes on the images state that these locations did not actually cease operations until 1957-1960. The larger downtown storefront locations seemed to have been shot in the late 1950s or early 1960s, possibly for reference purposes, by Dominion's property management office. The images of the urban supermarkets appear to have been taken in the mid to late 1960s during the stores' openings or shortly afterward. Several of the images seem to be proofs of advertising campaigns ("500 Lower Prices" and "Cut Food Costs" being the most notable) as the mix of locations all sport the same sales banner.
Dominion Stores Limited was a national chain of grocery stores, predominantly known in the eastern half of Canada. Founded in 1919 in Toronto, Ontario, as a series of local dry goods stores, the chain was remade after World War II into a number of suburban-based, self-serve supermarkets. Originally acquired by Argus Corporation, it was sold to the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P), and later acquired by the Quebec holding company, Metro Incorporated, which eliminated the "Dominion" name in 2008.
Click on the link(s) below for more information.
In 2008, the donor gave his photographic collection of Dominion storefronts located in Toronto to the City of Toronto Archives and Records Centre. These images now form their Fonds 311 (Photographs of Dominion stores in Toronto).
Also donated was the anniversary publication "Dominion: Sixty Years of Dependability 1919-1979" by Ted Wood (ISBN 0-7720-1265-2). This publication can be ordered from the Archives of Ontario Library.
The Archives holds 13 sets of low-level oblique aerial photographs in C-30 (Northway-Gestalt Corporation fonds) consisting of general views of suburban housing and possible shopping centre locations in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Ontario, dated August 1958, on contract for Dominion Stores Limited.
The Archives also holds several sets of architectural drawings in C 315-1-2 (Mathers & Haldenby architectural and engineering drawings - aperture cards) and C 315-1-3 (Mathers & Haldenby architectural and engineering drawings - microfilm reels) for 12 Dominion stores, all constructed in Toronto during 1955-1958.
No further accruals are expected.
View an online list of these records.
Consult the online list to identify the images that you require. Order using reference code F 4594 and the container barcode.
Please note that this material is stored off-site. A minimum of 1 business day is required to retrieve the material from storage. Please contact the Reference Archivists for more information.
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.