Fonds C 214
4 items of textual records
2 architectural drawings : ink and pencil on paper
22 photographs : silver gelatine, black and white, mounted
Fonds consists of architectural drawings, photographs and textual records created or accumulated by Toronto architect, Charles J. Gibson.
Includes design specifications, architectural drawings and correspondence pertaining to work performed by Gibson for Mr. F.H. Gooch relating to the construction of a conservatory addition to Gooch's residence at 120 Crescent Road in Toronto and his cottage on Lake Simcoe. The drawings include sketches of a site plan and sections of an ice house attached to Gooch's cottage. Also includes one certificate recognizing Gibson's membership in the Ontario Association of Architects.
Includes a series of photographs documenting: Chandler House, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club memorial capstan, the Queen's Park Archway commemorating the 1901 Royal Visit of the Duke of York and Duchess of Cornwall, Lambton Golf and Country Club and two cottages (all designed by Gibson), as well as the Simpson Family mausoleum in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Also includes photographs of a series of unidentified residential rooms, either designed or photographed by Gibson.
One watercolour perspective painting by Gibson documents a grand Muskoka cottage he designed in 1902, known as "Kawandag." The painting was damaged by water leakage prior to its donation to the Archives of Ontario but the design of the cottage and its setting remain visible.
Charles J. Gibson (1862-1935) was an architect who practised primarily in Toronto in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Click on the link(s) below for more information.
Title is based on the contents of the fonds.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: 16490, 48445.
View an online list of these records.
Consult the online listing and request by reference code C 214 and container number.
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.