Nassau District Land Board minutes Help

Ontario Government Record Series RG 1-177

Nassau District Land Board minutes

About these records

Nassau District Land Board minutes
Dates of Creation
Physical Description

1 volume of textual records

Scope and Content

Series consists of minutes created by the Nassau District Land Board between 1788 and 1792 in the course of carrying out its responsibilities for administering the Lieutenant Governor's instructions concerning settlement and for locating settlers on land. At the back of the volume is an index to names recorded in the minutes.

Restrictions on Access
Original records are closed for conservation reasons.
Terms For Use and Reproduction
Copyright is primarily held by the Crown. No restrictions on reproduction. Permission of the Archives of Ontario is required for publication; submit a Request for Permission to Publish, Exhibit or Broadcast Form.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These records were acquired from the Department of Crown Lands prior to 1905.
Associated Material

Minutes and reports of various land boards, as well as correspondence and instructions or regulations for their operations can be found at Library and Archives Canada as Series RG 1, L4.

As well, Library and Archives Canada holds miscellaneous Land Board certificates and location tickets issued by surveyors for the Nassau District, covering the period 1793 to 1800 (Reference code: Comprises part of RG 1 L 6 B, volume 4).

Related Material

For records kept by the land surveyor responsible for the Nassau District, see Series RG 1-29, Nassau District land administration records.

Maps of the Nassau District, possibly prepared for the District Land Board, can be found in the Archives of Ontario's Cartographic Records Collection.

Availability of Other Formats

This volume is available on microfilm.

The Nassau District was created by a Proclamation by Lord Dorchester, dated 24 July 1788 which divided southern Ontario into four districts. The Nassau District encompassed the area between lines running north from the mouth of the Trent River and the tip of Long Point on Lake Erie. On 15 October 1792, under 32 Geo. III, c. 8, it was renamed the Home District.

The contents of this volume were published in the Third Report of the Bureau of Archives for the Province of Ontario, 1905, pp. 293 to 306. The report can be found in the Sessional Papers, 1906, no. 41, available on self-service microfilm B97, reel 94.

Former Codes

Volume RG 1-177-0-1 formerly was Series RG 1 C-I-9, volume 1.

Finding Aid
No list is available for this series.

Agency or agencies that created these records

These records were created by the following Ontario government agency or agencies. Click on the agency reference code for information about this agency and other records it created.

1788-1792 :

Nassau District Land Board (BA565)

How to order these records

From our Reading Rooms

To view volume consult self-service microfilm MS 693, reel 180.

Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.

By Microfilm Interloan
These records are available through the Archives of Ontario Microfilm Interloan Service, which allows you to borrow microfilmed archival records through a library or other institution that participates in the interlibrary loan system.