Fonds F 946
1 metre of textual records
1 volume of textual records
1 photograph : black and white tintype
Collection consists of miscellaneous documents, relating mainly to the military establishment at Penetaguishene from 1813 to 1868. Records include provision lists, accounts, a cash book, correspondence and circulars, a land patent, a manuscript description of Penetaguishene which was published in the Montreal Gazette in 1836, certificates, garrison and general orders, contracts for various services provided to the military establishment, and an orderly book. Also included is a tintype of an unidentified soldier. Collection also contains various press clippings regarding Huronia Historical Parks.
Records are arranged primarily by creator, and include the William Simpson papers, the James Dumars papers, the Luke Woods papers, the George R. Dartnell papers, and the James Caughey orderly book.
On March 19, 1964, the Government established the Huronia Historical Development Council to advise the Minister of Tourism and Information on the reconstruction of Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, the naval and military establishments at Penetanguishene, and the construction of the Museum of the Upper Lakes at Wasaga Beach. The Council was also assigned responsibility for the actual reconstruction projects until 1968, when the Huronia Historical Parks Branch of the Department of Tourism and Information was created to assume the responsibility for planning, construction and operation of these historic sites. After this date, the Huronia Historical Development Council continued to work in an advisory capacity.
The Huronia Historical Parks agency at Midland received the records in this collection from a variety of sources. The records of James Wickens were donated to the agency by Peter McGarvey of Orillia. The records of William Simpson were donated by Alan Simpson. The cash book of Deputy Commissary- General Fulford B. Feilde was donated by Edmund Feilde Sefton of Toronto. The records of Luke Woods were donated to the agency by Anne Morrison of Barrie in 1963.
Additional records related to Huronia Historical Parks can be found in Archives of Ontario record series RG 65-7 Huronia Parks reorganization project files. Records related to the Huronia Historical Development Council may be found in RG 5-4 Correspondence of the Minister of Tourism and Information.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession Numbers: 12700, 14958
View an online list of these records.
Consult the online list to identify the records that you require. Order using reference code and barcode number or consult the appropriate reel of self-service microfilm in the Reading Room.
Please note that this material may be stored off-site. A minimum of 1 business day is required to retrieve off-site material from storage. Please contact a Reference Archivist for more information.
Scroll up to "Finding Aid" for more information about any available finding aids or listings.