Ontario Government Agency History (BA118)
Ontario Hydro was created by statute in 1906. Originally named the Hydro- Electric Power Commission of Ontario, it was officially renamed Ontario Hydro in 1974. With the change in name, the form of administration of the Corporation was also changed from that of a six-man commission to a Board of Directors. The Board was composed of a Chairman, Vice- Chairman, a President and a varying number of directors, all of whom (with the exception of the President) were appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council. The President was a full-time employee of the Corporation who was appointed by the Board.
Ontario Hydro reported to the following during its existence; the Lieutenant Governor (1906-1964), the Department of Energy and Resources Management (1964-1971), the Department of the Environment (1971-1972), the Ministry of the Environment (1972-1973), the Ministry of Energy (1973-1993), the Ministry of Environment and Energy (1993- 1997), and to the Ministry of Energy, Science and Technology (1997-1999).
In 1999, with the passing of the Energy Competition Act, Ontario Hydro was re-organized into five companies; Ontario Power Generation (OPG), the Ontario Hydro Services Company (Hydro One), the Independent Electricity Market Operator, the Electrical Safety Authority, and the Ontario Electricity Financial Corporation.
An Act to Provide for the Transmission of Electrical Power to Municipalities, Statutes of Ontario 1906, Chap. 15
Power Commission Act, Statutes of Ontario 1907, Chap. 19
Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario
Ontario Hydro (Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario) Annual Reports, 1906-1995
Ontario Government Telephone Directories